Why do we need vitamins?
Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally.
Vitamins are one of many essential nutrients that our bodies need every day for health and energy.
Vitamins are organic compounds that are necessary for the function and growth of the body, for cell and tissue regeneration and conservation of resistance against diseases.Vitamins cannot work as a source of energy of our bodies, themselves, but are involved in many important biochemical processes.
Our body either does not produce enough of them, or none at all, therefore we obtain them throughout our food.
There are 13 essential vitamins that our body needs: A,C,D,E,K and B complex (riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, foliate, B12, B6,panthotenic acid and biotine). There are two types of vitamins: water-soluble vitamins and fat-soluble vitamins.
Fat-soluble vitamins tend to stick around in the body longer, while water soluble vitamins are eliminated through the urine quicker and small amounts are stored in the body at one time.
Our spelt sprout concentrate contains the following vitamins:
Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
- Important in the processing of carbohydrates to produce energy
- important for nerves to function properly
- Important for a healthy heart.
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- roles in growth and production of red blood cells, skin and eyes
- roles in energy production.
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
- roles in processing cholesterol
- needed for vascular health
- for a healthy nervous system
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
- roles in the processing of proteins, fats and carbohydrates to produce energy,
- roles in cell division e.g. to make red blood cells
- helps regulate hormones.
Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)
- important for cell division
- important inred blood cell production
- important for proper functioning of nerves
- fat-soluble vitamin
- acts as an antioxidant
- protect cell membranes against the effects of free radicals
- it is also needed for proper immune function
- helps the body to use vitamin K
- fat-soluble vitamin
- maintains health of specialized tissues as the retina, is needed for healthy eyes
- keeps your skin smooth and the linings of your mouth, nose, throat, lungs, and intestines healthy
- aids in growth and health of skin and mucous membranes
- promotes normal developement of teeth, soft and skeletal tissue